"I don't feel frightened by not knowing things, I find it much more interesting"

November 07, 2010

Sagan Day

Yesterday was the 2nd annual 'Carl Sagan day' a tribute to simply the greatest science communicator of the 20th century of which I will write more about either tomorrow or Tuesday (his Birthday) All I can say right now is that the NASA Kepler site has ran a brilliant essay contest here featuring some brilliant pieces on Sagan and the Cosmos. One in particular I loved was by Stuart Atkinson who runs the Cumbrian Sky website and can be reached on twitter (@mars_stu) His short story to cut a long story shot had me filling up, not just with hope and pride that as a species we're taking this "Giant Leap" into the cosmic ocean but with a tinge of sadness that the man isn't here to witness our efforts.

Like I said more later but for now, go outside when it's dark and look up. Out there are infinite possibilities, and our future.

"I believe our future depends powerfully on how well we understand this cosmos, in which we float like a mote of dust in the morning sky"

No comments:

Post a Comment